You Don’t Have to Live in Pain: 5 Exercises to Help Relieve Back Pain
- Posted on: Jan 30 2023
You know how debilitating back pain can be if you’re among the millions of Americans suffering from it. Back pain can make prolonged sitting or standing difficult, making everyday activities such as walking or lying down quite painful. Exercise can help relieve back pain, which is good news.
In this blog post, we’ll share five exercises that can help ease your back pain and get you on the road to recovery.
This exercise helps stretch the muscles in your lower back and buttocks. To do the knee-to-chest stretch:
- Put both knees bent and your feet flat on the ground.
- Using your hands behind one knee, pull your leg toward your chest until you feel a gentle stretch in your lower back and buttocks.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Do this exercise 2-3 times per day.
This exercise helps strengthen your abdomen and lower back muscles. Lie on your back with your knees bent and flatfooted on the ground. Place your hands on your hips; you should notice a gentle arch in your lower back. Return to the starting position after holding this position for 10 seconds. You should repeat this ten times.
This exercise helps loosen the muscles in your mid-back and relieves tension in your spine. Put your hands under your shoulders and your knees under your hips and start on all fours.
When you exhale, bend your spine upward and tuck your chin in (this is the “cat” position). As you inhale, arch your spine toward the floor and look up at the ceiling (this is the “cow” position). Do this ten times.
This exercise helps strengthen the muscles in your lower back. To do the superman exercise:
- Lie on your back with your arms extended in front of you and your legs straight behind you.
- Slowly lift both arms and legs off the ground about 6 inches and hold for 5 seconds before returning to the starting position.
- Repeat ten times.
Currently, Dr. Jason C. Tinley in Dallas is accepting new patients. You can schedule a consultation by calling (817) 916-4685!
Posted in: Back Pain